Please help us improve our website...

Council Tax - discount forms

If you qualify for a discount you will be entitled to pay a reduced rate of Council Tax for an appropriate period. To claim a discount you will need to complete the relevant form.

PDF iconDisabled person discount form (download 38k)

Use this form to claim a discount if the following applies:

There is a disabled resident who needs either space for a wheelchair to be used inside the home, or additional kitchen, bathroom or other room


This space or room is essential or of major importance for the well-being of the disabled resident because of the nature and extent of his/her disability

It will help in the consideration of the application if the applicant can supply a note form a doctor, or other qualified professional (such as occupational therapist or social worker) confirming that the disabled resident needs the extra space or room as stated above.

If for any reason you are unable to obtain such confirmation easily, then do not delay your application if you believe you are eligible for a reduction. However, we may subsequently need to ask for evidence in support of your application.

Application For Single Person Council Tax Discount (On-line)

PDF iconApplication for a single person discount (download 26k)

Use this form if you are the only adult (aged 18 or over) resident at your property, as you may be eligible for a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill. If your application is successful we will re-issue a revised Council Tax bill in due course.

PDF iconPersons not counted as residents for discount purposes (download 13k)

When calculating entitlement to discount, certain adults are not counted as residents in a property. This means that even if you share your home with another adult (or adults), you may still be entitled to a discount.

There are criteria to define how each of the following can be ‘adults not counted as resident in a property’:

  • Persons in detention
  • Persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Persons in respect of whom Child Benefit is paid
  • Most full-time students
  • Hospital patients
  • Patients in residential care homes, nursing homes, mental nursing homes
  • Certain care workers
  • Persons resident in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Members of international Headquarters and Defence Organisations (e.g. NATO)
  • Members of relgious communities
  • Certain school leavers
  • Members of visiting forcesand their adult dependents

To see if you, or an adult you share your home with, meet the criteria, please read the attached notes carefully - PDF iconPersons not counted as residents for discount purposes (download 13k)

If you are claiming a discount because you, or an adult you share your home with, is a student or a carer please complete in the appropriate form below:

PDF iconStudent discount form (download 34k)

Use this form to claim a discount if you, or an adult you share your home with, are:

(i) attending a full-time course of further or higher education at a University, College or other educational establishment. The course must be at least one year’s duration and involve at least 21 hours attendance per week for at least 24 weeks in the year

(ii) under 20 years of age and attending a course which lasts more than 3 calendar months and involves at least 12 hours attendance per week between 8.00am and 5.30pm. The course must not be taken by correspondence, or in consequence of the person’s job nor must it be a course of higher education.

You will be required to provide a copy of the person’s student certificate, which can be obtained from the certification officer at the college/university.

PDF iconCarers discount form (download 30k)

Use this form to claim a discount if you, or an adult you share your home with, are:

Engaged in providing care and/or support to another person who is not a disqualified resident of that person (i.e. spouse or child below the age of 18 years). The applicant must provide care for at least 35 hours per week and be resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom he/she is providing care, the care recipient must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit:

  • Higher rate attendance allowance
  • Highest rate of care component of the disability living allowance
  • Increase in the rate of his/her disablement pension
  • Increase in a constant attendance allowance

You will be required to provide evidence of the above entitlement (for example – letter or Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) book number).

Other discounts
If you believe you are entitled to a discount because you, or an adult you share your home with, meets one of the other Person not counted as resident criteria or for any other reason, please complete the general:

Discount claim form (On-line)

PDF iconDiscount claim form (download 28k)

Changes of circumstance
If you are successful in claiming a discount but your circumstances then change you must inform the Council within 21 days of the change. Failure to do this may lead to a fine or penalty.

For further assistance or to inform us of a change of circumstance, please phone the Customer Contact Centre on 01437 764551 or visit one of our Customer Service Centres

ID: 13356 Revised: 18/5/2017